Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What makes Philly different?

I was recently thinking, whats the difference between Philly and other cities?  What makes us better?  Is it the cheese steaks or is it the sports teams?  Honestly I thinks it both of those as well as the way the murals and graffiti in the city brightens up even the most dilapidated areas.   For the past few years I have been attempting to photograph the beauty of the graffiti in these terrible neighborhoods to compare it to other cities such as Baltimore or anyother major metropolis.  Here are some of my results.

All of these pics were taken on 2005 in North Philadelphia so most of this graffiti has changed or been painted over.  But Check out the detail.  Its amazing.  I will post South Philly graffiti soon!

Is this a Sailor Moon reference?
 This one is a continuation of the one above this.  I feel like the message is pretty deep. 
 This is a little more fun.
 This is what the neighborhood looks like if you look away from the artwork.  Its not really the nicest place.  But you gotta love the artwork.
 All of this is right down the street from Temple University.  I think its 2 or 3 blocks.  Im sure Temple will eventually expand into this neighborhood as well. 
 This guy looks really hungry for cheese steaks and french toast.

 This is some more of the deep art.
 This was my favorite one.
 I love the way they did the panels and each one was a different color and a different piece of art.  Its inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment